Username:
Password:
remember me?
 Latest:
Help / Support | Settings | View or Edit your profile
Forum Level:
A Thinker
Covid - 19 - NONE POLITICAL
Here are some details on Covid-19 in New Zealand.

We have 39 confirmed cases (That's on a population of 4.5m). There has been no deaths and only one hospitalisation. All cases have been associated with overseas travel (most are Kiwis, but some aren't). The people who tested positive have had their contacts traced and those contacts tested. All but two were negative. Testing is increasing daily.

On Sunday (15/03/20) we required everyone coming into NZ to go into 14 days self-isolation. On Wednesday, it was asked that those that arrived before Sunday also go into self-isolation. Yesterday, we closed our borders completely, excluding imports & exports and some other special circumstances. The first time this has occurred!!!

The self-isolation is being followed up and those that do not do so are being placed under Police 'care' and overseas (not permanent residents) deported. What happens when the planes stop flying?

We are not a Police state, but these are strange times.

A National emergency has not been called, but personally I think it is only a matter of time. There is a fine line between keeping people informed and panicking them. There has been panic buying and the PM & shopping bosses are stressing there is enough, food, etc; and it seems to come in waves. But some people don't seem to be getting the message.

Thankfully, at the moment NZ has had no community transmissions and all schools, unis are open. A couple of schools have been closed and people tested where contact with infected people identified - all tests have been negative which is good.

Some public institutions such as zoos, libraries, swimming pools have been closed and public events cancelled. A lot of events, public and private, have been cancelled voluntarily, even where money was losted.

There are about 80k Kiwis overseas on holiday and OEs and the Government has directed them to come home. Air NZ has ceased 85% of overseas flights and Qantas 100%. The Government is talking to Air NZ about a bailout. It seems the Government is going to send 'mercy' flights to bring Kiwis and permanent residents home. No doubt we will bring our ANZAC partners and Pacific Islanders home in the flights, just like I expect Australia will do the same for us. The two countries sling off at each other on the sporting field, but at the end of the day we are cousins and probably no two countries have such a closer relationship.

As aside, Air NZ had Kiwis coming home from London on a normal commercial flight, but because it was flying into US before onto NZ, Kiwis got refused permission to go on it. The only people who did were US citizens because of Trumps rules. Fuck me they weren't going anywhere. He needs to rethink his position.

There is an election in September, but I can see the Queen being approached to authorise the delay of this. This has NEVER occurred before.

You know it's bad when all NZ rugby is cancelled; although there is talk that the NZ super 15 teams (five of them) will play amongst themselves. If they do it will be an great morel boast. Whether the All Blacks play their international season is another thing. Whatever happens, all games will be to empty stadiums. In other codes, more and more events are being cancelled or suspended (basically the same, just different words). A couple of professional teams (Football (soccer) and rugby league) got into Aussie before they closed their borders to play the seasons, but when those teams return & it seems like maybe they willsooner rather than later, the international players won't be able to get into NZ.

The current focus here is testing and self-isolation and social distance, how being referred to as physical distancing. This is as much as a mental health issue as a physical one- we all need to stay in touch. Example all ANZAC Day celebrations have been cancelled, but FB movement is saying at 5.55AM on 25/04/20, people come out of their homes and line the streets.

NZ's number of cases will go up as more Kiwis return from overseas and there probably will be a community transmission, but as the PM said the idea is to smooth out the step curve other countries have experienced into small humps allowing the health system to cope better. Unfortunately we are heading into winter and the flu season. Although not the same, the Government has ramped up the flu vaccination programme, targeting those most at risk first, then the rest of the population.

Although it's being said over and over again wash hands (20 seconds - sing happy birthday twice and don't forget to do thumb and all fingers), hand sanitiser, two metres distancing, etc; there are still idiots (uni students) who still are partying. They think they are bullet proof. The Minister of Health has come out and said they are not only placing themselves at risk, they are placing their family and friends at risk and NZ at risk.

Large scale community testing has began; GPs and nurses who have recently ceased practicing are being requested to contact Ministry of Health to create a fullback workforce. Older model ventilators (NZ medical equipment is replaced quite often) are being brought back into service and staff trained on them. Elective surgery put off and wards of non-serious patients being cleared. As I understand it is not the virus that kills, rather the underlying medical effects of a person infected. Gatherings have been restricted, no gatherings outside of more that 500. No gatherings inside of more than 100 persons - that doesn't apply to work, schools and public transport. I can see this changing.

Businesses have been told to come up with plans on the ability for staff to work from home. I am lucky, I can do my job from home. But there are lots who cannot. Tourism is worth 10% of GDP to NZ. Basically there are no overseas tourists.

The Government has released a package worth 4% of NZ's GDP (the largest percentage per capita of any country to date).

The package is to help small to medium businesses and employees and beneficiaries. The beneficiaries are being included as they are more likely to spend and etc funds have been made available to afford electricity and prevent the flu and pressure on the health system.

The Government has said that this is the first of a number of packages and there is a budget to come out in May. Although the package is for small to medium businesses, the Government is entering into talks one on one with large employers. They don't want to be paying monies to them just for it to flow onto the shareholders, especially overseas shareholders. Mum & Dad Kiwis, fine, big multinationals no.

I do think some employers will take this opportunity to cut staff, which may have already been in plan, with the use of the virus as an excuse. NZ is a country where a lot of people will take their business elsewhere when employers (especially multinationals) cut workers. A lot of the businesses are run by overseas people, not Kiwis, and a lot of money is sucked out of the country to overseas business that own NZ companies, such as the large banks. It will be interesting to see what the Government does about that. It will affect the exchange rate, might help the other markets and encourage purchasing.

That aside, the Government has said that a large number of businesses will go under and a large number of jobs go. Good think is we have low debt and very low unemployment and have experienced recent a number of major upheavals.

Will keep you informed.

If this thread breaks our rules please 
DanajustDana
Well written, very informative. Please keep us updated!

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Sorry to hear how hard the virus problem has hit New Zealand. Hope it turns out better than it has in some other countries and regions. Thanks for posting the update.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
Fourteen new cases of COVID - 19 confirmed by laboratory tests in NZ.

That brings us to a total of 66 confirmed case, with four probable.

Country is at alert level two (Government introduced a four step alert level, with step four being lockdown, either town / city, regionally & nationally and go up of down accordingly.)

walkys
great post. stay safe.
big changes in past 3 hrs, lock down in Au

DanajustDana
Informative thread, please keep it going!

Forum Level:
A Thinker
New Zealand prepares for lockdown
102 cases today, extra 36 on yesterday.

Here is the text of the announcement given by the Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand at approximately 1 PM (NZ time) today.

"Good afternoon

The Cabinet met this morning to discuss our next actions in the fight against COVID-19.

Like the rest of the world, we are facing the potential for devastating impacts from this virus. But, through decisive action, and through working together, we have a small window to get ahead of it.

On Saturday I announced a COVID-19 alert level system and placed New Zealand at Alert Level 2.

I also said we should all be prepared to move quickly. Now is the time to put our plans into action.

We are fortunate to still be some way behind the majority of overseas countries in terms of cases, but the trajectory is clear. Act now, or risk the virus taking hold as it has elsewhere.

We currently have 102 cases. But so did Italy once. Now the virus has overwhelmed their health system and hundreds of people are dying every day.

The situation here is moving at pace, and so must we.

We have always said we would act early. Today 36 new cases were announced. While the majority of these cases continue to be linked to overseas travel in some way, I can also confirm, as did the Director General of Health, that we have 2 cases where public health officials have been unable to find how they came in contact with COVID-19. On that basis, we now consider that there is transmission within our communities.

If community transmission takes off in New Zealand the number of cases will double every five days. If that happens unchecked, our health system will be inundated, and tens of thousands of New Zealanders will die.

There is no easy way to say that – but it is the reality we have seen overseas – and the possibility we must now face here.

Together, we must stop that happening, and we can.

Right now we have a window of opportunity to break the chain of community transmission – to contain the virus – to stop it multiplying and to protect New Zealanders from the worst.

Our plan is simple. We can stop the spread by staying at home and reducing contact.

Now is the time to act.

That’s why Cabinet met today and agreed that, effective immediately, we will move to Alert Level 3 nationwide.

After 48 hours, the time required to ensure essential services are in place, we will move to Level 4.

These decisions will place the most significant restriction on New Zealanders' movements in modern history. This is not a decision taken lightly. But this is our best chance to slow the virus and to save lives.

Let me set out what these changes will mean for everyone.

Supermarkets, doctors, pharmacies, service stations, access to essential banking services, will all be available throughout New Zealand at every alert level. If you do not have immediate needs, do not go to the supermarket. It will be there for you today, tomorrow, and the day after that. We must give time for supermarkets to restock their shelves, there will be enough for everyone if we shop normally.

In the meantime, we will be working through practices like those used overseas to make sure that social distancing is maintained at supermarkets when people are undertaking essential shops.

Non-essential businesses in New Zealand must now close. All bars, restaurants, cafes, gyms, cinemas, pools, museums, libraries, playgrounds and any other place where the public congregate must close their face-to-face function.

Over the next 48 hours as we move to Level 4, takeaway services must move to close their operations.

All indoor and outdoor events cannot proceed.

In short: we are all now preparing to go into self isolation as a nation. Just as you’ve seen with other countries.

Staying at home is essential. It’s a simple but highly effective way to constrain the virus – it denies it places to go, and will help give our healthcare system a fighting chance.

So over the next 48 hours every workplace must implement alternative ways of working, people must work from home so that interactions with others are limited.

Essential services will need to put in place alternative ways of working that ensure physical distancing of staff of 2 metres, or utilise appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.

Schools will be closed from tomorrow, except to the children of essential workers such as our doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers and police – this will give them time to plan. This will be temporary, and schools will close entirely from midnight Wednesday.

The school term break will be brought forward. For the remainder of this week and through the term break schools will establish ways to deliver teaching online and remotely. All students across the country are currently being given information on this decision for their parents, including the list of who is considered an essential service. This will be communicated directly to parents.

To be absolutely clear we are now asking all New Zealanders who are outside essential services to stay at home, and to stop all interactions with others outside of those in your household.

I understand that self isolation is a daunting prospect. So we are being practical. You can leave your home for fresh air, a walk, exercise. To take your children outside. But remember the simple principle. It must be solitary. We are asking that you only spend time with those you are in self isolation with. And if you are outside, keep your distance from others. That means 2 metres at all times. This is the single most important thing we can do right now to stop further community transmission.

Travel around New Zealand will also change.

Over the next 48 hours, people will need to get home, be it locally or throughout the country. We have asked all air transport providers to ensure social distancing for that period. After 48 hours we will be moving to air travel only applying to the transport of people undertaking essential services and the transport of freight.

Public transport will also begin to transition over the next 48 hours and will only be available for those working in essential services, for medical reasons, and to move essential goods – including ferry services between the North and South Island.

Further details on the transition we are all now making will be made publicly available on the COVID-19 website.

Now I want to share with you what will happen while we are all in Alert Level 4 to get ahead of COVID-19.

We will continue to vigorously contact trace every single case. Testing will continue at pace to help us understand the current number of cases in New Zealand and where they are based. If we flush out the cases we already have and see transmission slow, we will potentially be able to move areas out of Level 4 over time.

But for the next wee while, things will look worse before they look better. In the short term the number of cases will likely rise because the virus is already in our community. But these new measures can slow the virus down and prevent our health system from being overwhelmed and ultimately save lives.

To be successful though, to stop community transmission which has a lag time, these measures will need to be in place for 4 weeks. Again, I want to reiterate, you will be able to make regular visits to essential services in that time.

If we after those 4 weeks we have been successful, we hope we will be able to ease up on restrictions. If we haven’t, we’ll find ourselves living with them for longer. That’s why sticking to the rules matters. If we don’t – if you hang out with that friend at a park or see that family member for lunch, you risk spreading COVID -19 and extending everyone’s time in Level 4.

Our low number of cases compared to the rest of the world gives us a chance, but does not mean we have escaped. I do not underestimate what I am asking New Zealanders to do. It’s huge. And I know it will feel daunting. But I wanted to share with you the stark choice we face.

New medical modelling considered by the Cabinet today suggests that without the measures I have just announced up to tens of thousands of New Zealanders could die from COVID-19.

Everything you will all give up for the next few weeks, all of the lost contact with others, all of the isolation, and difficult time entertaining children – it will literally save lives. Thousands of lives.

The worst case scenario is simply intolerable. It would represent the greatest loss of New Zealanders’ lives in our country’s history. I will not take that chance.

I would rather make this decision now, and save those lives, and be in lockdown for a shorter period, than delay, and see New Zealanders lose loved ones and their contact with each other for an even longer period. I hope you are all with me on that.

Together we have an opportunity to contain the spread and prevent the worst.

I cannot stress enough the need for every New Zealander to follow the advice I have laid out today.

The Government will do all it can to protect you. Now I’m asking you to do everything you can to protect us all. None of us can do this alone.

Your actions will be critical to our collective ability to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Failure to play your part in the coming days will put the lives of others at risk. There will be no tolerance for that and we will not hesitate in using enforcement powers if needed.

We’re in this together and must unite against COVID-19.

I am in no doubt that the measures I have announced today will cause unprecedented economic and social disruption. But they are necessary.

I have one final message. Be kind. I know people will want to act as enforcers. And I understand that, people are afraid and anxious. We will play that role for you. What we need from you, is to support one another. Go home tonight and check in on your neighbours. Start a phone tree with your street. Plan how you’ll keep in touch with one another. We will get through this together, but only if we stick together. Be strong and be kind."

Forum Level:
A Thinker
Covid - 19 - NZ increases support package.
NZ has increased its business support package in relation to covid - 19 for employers / employees / large corporates / SMEs / contractors / NGOs & others.

Effectively this support package doubles the one previously announced (which was 4% of NZ's GDP), therefore moving it to 8%.

There are a number of other steps, such as the Government supporting the Reserve Bank buying back $30 billion of Government bonds; Government underwriting of banks for loans to business and mortgage payments.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
Update from NZ

We have 205 cases - up 50 cases from yesterday, 22 have recovered. Most are associated with overseas travel, except 8 which are being treated as community transmission. It is anticipated that the number of cases will increase to a couple of thousand due to NZers returning from overseas picking up the virus from overseas, before we see a decrease.

A nation wide state of emergency has been declared and at 11:59PM we will move from Alert stage 3 to stage 4 (the highest).

- At that time the country will be placed into lockdown for four weeks with everyone to remain there until then. There is an extension solely for travel to 27th to allow people to get home (we are a nation of two main islands. But it begs the question of why these people didn't get their A into gear earlier and arrange to come home. The ferries have cut their loads in half to maintain the social distancing.)

- After 27th, all transport will be restricted to essential goods and movement of essential supplies and personnel.

- All preschools, schools & tertiary education facilities to be closed (that happen yesterday).

- All non-essential business / services will close.

- Supermarkets, petrol stations & pharmacies are classed as essential, you will be allowed to go from your house to them and back. However, there are rules around how many people they can have in them.

- There are no take outs (Time to see whether the younger generation can cook!)

- Medical services (including pharmacies) will operate, however such things as elective surgery are delayed.

- Those that can are to work from home.

- You can take a short walk, bike ride from home for exercise, but must remain two metres from anyone not in your "bubble" [Your bubble is anyone who is in your house, flat, etc at 12AM].

- Police will patrol the street and are the enforcement agency. The armed forces will be utilised as required. (From comments from the officials it seems like this will occur. One comment was "People should not be anxious if they see police and service personnel on their streets".)

- New Zealanders able to return from overseas will be quarantined, unless they have a self-isolation plan & and transport plan acceptable to the authorities. If it is not acceptable they will be placed into quarantine. Where a self-isolation plan is accepted, the Police will follow them up & if it is found they are not following the plan they will be arrested and placed into quarantine.

- Any NZer flaunting the rules will be warned first and if continues they will be arrested.

- Requisitions powers have been issued.

The Jacinda (the Prime Minister) has said that everyone should treat themselves as being infected and have as little contact with others. The idea is not to create more community outbreak.

There's a saying here "Follow the rules and save a life".

Kia Kaha (Stay Strong)

Forum Level:
Just getting started
What this got to with this site
I do not see what this has to do with this site, get enough if it through our media. Plus failed to say the major of New Zealanders feel if borders were closed three weeks early we would not be so bad curse
I come on her for sexual reading not this.

DanajustDana
preggy said: I do not see what this has to do with this site, get enough if it through our media. Plus failed to say the major of New Zealanders feel if borders were closed three weeks early we would not be so bad curse

First of all, you say you come on here for sexual reading. This is General Discussion (GD), you will find sexual reading in, Sexual Discussion (SD). If you don't like something, scroll past it, how hard can it be?

Forum Level:
A Thinker
terrid53 said:
preggy said: I do not see what this has to do with this site, get enough if it through our media. Plus failed to say the major of New Zealanders feel if borders were closed three weeks early we would not be so bad curse

First of all, you say you come on here for sexual reading. This is General Discussion (GD), you will find sexual reading in, Sexual Discussion (SD). If you don't like something, scroll past it, how hard can it be?

Ta Terrid

DanajustDana
ChMotCh said:
terrid53 said:

Ta Terrid

Hi Ch, I appreciate the time you're spending bringing us these updates!

Forum Level:
A Thinker
New Zealand update for 26 March

Day 1 of the four week nationwide lockdown.

We have 78 new cases of Covid-19, bringing the total to 283.
- [This rise is expected as there is a time lag of approximately ten days, after which it is hope (if the lockdown rules are followed) that the infection rate will begin to decline.]

Of the 283, 27 people have recovered.

No deaths have occurred and eight are in hospital.

There are seven what are being referred to as outbreak clusters which the authorities are investigating.

Generally most New Zealanders have adhered to the lockdown rules, with the odd bump. Streets are largely empty.

Police are taking a softly softly approach with those out and about.

There has been some complaints about restrictions. One elderly couple 68 & 73 were out walking (that is allowed for exercise) when the Police told them to go home. This is because all over 70s are to stay in doors due to risk and exercise is to be limited to say a walk around the block.

Additionally; a 168 Kiwis returning have been placed into xxxxxxxxxx quarantine. These are people who were symptomatic or had no acceptable self-isolation (self-transport) plans, or no such plans at all.

In regards to Preggy's comment, he is right there are some people who said that returning NZers should have been quarantined, just like there were some who said they should not be allowed into the country at all. However, given the thousands that came back there was no effective way to quarantine that number. The only effective way was self-isolation, with follow-up by the authorities and enforcement where required. When we evacuated the NZers in Wuhan, there was only 90 odd who could easily be quarantined and were. The situations are totally different. The number of NZers returning has dropped as worldwide transport hubs are closed down, which makes it an easier number to quarantine as required.

Will kept you informed.

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor

The big question after all this is over is by how much more has the death Rate increased as to being compared to any average normal period, say 3 or 4 months of 2019 ?

Forum Level:
A Thinker
New Zealand Update:

Day 11 of four week lockdown.

Here are some statistics.

The number of confirmed and probable cases is 1,039. Of which 156 have recovered with one death unfortunately. This leaves currently 882 cases, with 15 people in hospital. Three of those hospitalised are in ICU, of which 2 are critical. The remainder are in self-isolation.

45% of cases relate to overseas travel, 36% to contacts, 1% to community transmission. The remainder are still be investigated.

There are still a number of persons in quarantine.

Jacinda, the Prime Minister, has praised New Zealanders for how we have collectively approached the lockdown and has said however, we cannot let up and must keep our eyes on the mission. There are some who are not following the rules which she just said "I can only charitably described as idiots". This includes the Minister of Health who went mountain bike riding. Jacinda was asked about the Minister of Health on a TV shows and she advised the announcer that she was given her [the announcer] the benefit of her silence, but she can rest assure she did not give the Minister that benefit. I anticipate a reshuffle of cabinet once Covid-19 is under control.

Regardless of the support package, some people are in my opinion moaning why they cannot trade, especially if they can do so online. There is an issue where people can buy online from overseas, however, as the business roundtable pointed out, that is dangerous as freighting costs increase. There was a article on the TV news last night where a lady was complaining about not being able to sell her clothes online. Whilst I do understand where they are coming from, she was not the best representative as she was selling high fashion end which the normal Kiwi could not afford.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
New Zealand Update

Day 13 of lockdown

The number of confirmed and probable cases is 1,160, with 54 new cases. The number recovered in now 241. There has still only been the one unfortunate death.

In hospital currently are 12 people, with 4 of these are in intensive care units of which one is in a critical condition.

The remainder are in self-isolation.

Of the cases, 45% relate to overseas travel; 36% to contacts of existing cases, 1% to community transmission. The remainder are still being investigated.

We have twelve clusters, which are where ten or more cases result from the same event.

There are still a large number of persons in quarantine.

There are comments being made about placing all returning people into quarantine. As I said previously where they had an acceptable plan they were allowed to go home and self-isolate, and it was only those that didn't that went into quarantine. However, given the drop in numbers now returning (previously we had a return rate of 7,000 to 10,000 each day, which is a lot on a population of 5 million. Last couple of days its been about 500 per day) the Government is thinking of quarantining everyone now returning regardless, but wants to sort out a plan that will got forward as they have said that the border restrictions will be in place for a number of months. There also still are 7,500 Kiwis registered as overseas on holiday. A lot of whom cannot get home due to airlines stopping flights or not being able to transit though countries. Our national airline has stopped all international flights except charters and is saying that within a years time it will be a third of its pre-covid size.

The increase in case numbers has reduced over the last four or so days, but there is tentative optimism that the lockdown maybe working. The authorities have said the lockdown will be for the full four weeks. There are no public comments on whether it will be increased.

There has been a major stuff up by the Minister of Health, whilst the country is in lockdown, exercise is allowed locally and people are asked to not do anything where if something went wrong the emergency services would be called placing them at risk. The stupid Health Minister went mountain bike riding and got picked up on it. He apologised to the Prime Minister for that, but advised the PM later that he had taken his family to the beach [12 ks].

This is what Jacinda had to say about that:

"Last night David Clark (the Minister of Health) advised me that he drove his family to the beach for a walk in the early stages of the lockdown. He also offered me his resignation. I want to share with you what I shared with him.
Under normal circumstances I would sack the minister. What he did was wrong and there are no excuses.
But my priority above all else is our collective fight against COVID-19. That requires leadership amongst our DHBs (District Health Boards), it requires a good understanding of [the] workforce issues, it requires an intimate knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of our health system which we have been working so hard to rebuild and, of course, it requires knowledge of the complex nature of this global pandemic and what it means here in New Zealand.
Simply put, I determined that we cannot afford massive disruption in the health sector or to our response because David Clark continues to possess what we require as our health minister to take on COVID-19. For
that reason, and that reason alone, Dr Clark will maintain his role but he broke the rules and he does need to pay a price. So while he maintains his health portfolio, I have stripped him of his role as Associate Finance Minister and demoted him to the bottom of our Cabinet rankings".

He will lose his health portfolio when this is over without a doubt unless he pulls some miracle out of his political bag.

It the last thing Jacinda needed and overshadowed the fact that the Opposition Leader drove 1,000 kms from his home to Parliament to chair a select committee when he didn't need to. The Government established a system where all of the committee members could carry out their duties online.

Our representatives need to lead by example. Every day Jacinda and the Director of Health stress "stay at home, save a life". Those two above actions undermine that message.

On a happier note, Jacinda was asked yesterday about the Easter Bunny at a press conference and this was a comment she put of her Facebook page:

"This is a message for the kids of New Zealand.

I’ve been asked by lots of you whether the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are an essential service (I even got asked in a press conference today!) I have good news, they are! But because we’re all in isolation at the moment, the Easter Bunny might not make it to every house this year (they probably have to look after their own Bunny family too). So just in case, I’m wondering if you’ll help me create an Easter egg hunt for all the children in your neighbourhood?

You can draw your own Easter egg, or you can colour [and yes it is spelt that way] in the one that some of my clever friends helped to make. All you have to do is colour it in or decorate it, and pop it in your window for other kids to find. I'd also love to see your designs.

If you email them to primeminister@parliament.govt.nz, or share them on social media using the hashtag #NZEggHunt, I'll pop a few of them here and on Facebook over the Easter weekend. Have fun everyone!".

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
I hope you don't mind a good news update from somewhere else. smile

Thailand on Tuesday reported a sharp fall in the number of new coronavirus cases, compared to previous days.

Health officials said there had been 38 new cases, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 2,258.

In addition to 16 new cases, including imported ones, there are 17 patients linked to previous cases and five people who tested positive but await investigation into how they caught the disease, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman of the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

It was also reported that a further 31 people had now been discharged having made a full recovery, which means a total of 824 people have recovered from COVID-19 in Thailand.

Health officials said one more person had died, bringing the total number of deaths to 27.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

(The population of Thailand is approx. 70 million.)

Forum Level:
A Thinker
Update from NZ AS AT 29/11/20
I haven't given an update for some time so thought I would.

There is one new case of COVID-19 to report in managed isolation in New Zealand today.

There are no new community cases.

Today’s new case is a person who arrived from Jordan via Dubai on 26 November – they have been removed from managed isolation to the Auckland quarantine facility.

Two previously reported cases are now considered to have recovered, bringing our total number of active cases to 69.

Our total number of confirmed cases is now 1,696. (Unfortunately there has been 25 deaths.) There is no one in hospital).

There is a cricket competition going on between the Black Caps (New Zealand), the West Indies and the Pakistanis.

The West Indies breached their conditions and were placed into managed isolation facilities. Fortunately for them they did not have any positive cases arise.

Pakistan is a different matter.

They also breached their conditions and had training arrangements pulled and are required to carry out their full 14 days mandatory isolation in a managed isolation facility.

In total, six members of the squad have tested positive at day 1 testing, and one member of the squad has tested positive at day 3 testing. Following serology (blood) testing, two of the original six positive cases are now considered to be historic cases and are therefore not infectious.

All 53 members of the squad in managed isolation in Christchurch have also had serology tests, in addition to the routine PCR testing for the virus. As a result a further 11 people (in addition to the two mentioned above) returned positive serology indicating previous ‘historic’ infections.

As said we have no community transmissions and we are at level one (our lowest level) and have been for quite awhile.

Our rugby season finished this weekend (what are we going to do without our rugby - oh and the All Blacks thrashed the Pumas last night). Our finals were played in stadiums with people in them!!! Packed shops the other day with very little risk.

I'm working in the office (rather be working from home).

Masks are not mandatory, except on public transport.

All shops are open and the economy is picking up.

The interest rates have dropped drastically and house prices have risen sharply - mainly because of people removing money from investments putting it into property for capital gains.

Borders remain closed, except to returning Kiwis, permanent residents and exemptions given. Tourism has turned inwards focusing on domestic tourists.

We are letting some workers from overseas in after Xmas to assist in picking fruit. The growers have conditions to met including paying upfront for MIQ and paying minimum wages.

There have been complaints about there not being enough managed isolation (five and four star hotels - fully catered) spaces for Kiwis and permanent residents wanting to return home. A voucher system was brought in because of Xmas. There are about 7,000 beds (about 4,500 rooms) - some "maths" teacher complained about rooms being under utilized, when the Health Ministry had to point out that whilst there is 7,000 beds there's only 4,500 rooms, which means one person could be in one room, or a couple or family. In other words no one not associated with each other in someone else's 'bubble'. About 80,000 people have been through the managed isolation and quarantine facilities. I think a lot of the current people having issues are coming back for Xmas and only for that purpose not really to stay.

The Government has said that there are set requirements for MIQ facilities. Security, exercise areas, health resources onsite and available nearby for acute care, administrational. Some are saying MIQ should be run by private enterprise. We had private firms in charged of security and they had to call in the NZ Defense Force and Police and place it under the control of a Government Agency. One of the people saying private enterprise should run MIQ said the NZDF, Police & Health should still be used (what the hell will PE be doing then!!!)

Awhile ago we had a mini-outbreak, four cases linked to a NZDF member working at a MIQ hotel. That has been considered close and resulted in no economic damage.

The NZ COVID Tracer app now has 2,387,000 registered users. QR poster scans have reached 129,010,201 and users have created 5,229,595 manual diary entries. (I keep a manual record of where I go).

High testing rates still being carried out and the Government has entered into a number of vaccine contracts.

In summary New Zealand has eliminated covid.

Oh, and the Government who brought in the elimination strategy had a landslide win in our General Elections.

Forum Level:
A Thinker
Update from NZ AS AT 29/11/20
I haven't given an update for some time so thought I would.

There is one new case of COVID-19 to report in managed isolation in New Zealand today.

Today’s new case is a person who arrived from Jordan via Dubai on 26 November – they have been removed from managed isolation to the Auckland quarantine facility.

Two previously reported cases are now considered to have recovered, bringing our total number of active cases to 69.

Our total number of confirmed cases is now 1,696. (Unfortunately there has been 25 deaths.) There is no one in hospital).

There is a cricket competition going on between the Black Caps (New Zealand), the West Indies and the Pakistanis.

The West Indies breached their conditions and were placed into managed isolation facilities. Fortunately for them they did not have any positive cases arise.

They also breached their conditions and had training arrangements pulled and are required to carry out their full 14 days mandatory isolation in a managed isolation facility.

In total, six members of the squad have tested positive at day 1 testing, and one member of the squad has tested positive at day 3 testing. Following serology (blood) testing, two of the original six positive cases are now considered to be historic cases and are therefore not infectious.

All 53 members of the squad in managed isolation in Christchurch have also had serology tests, in addition to the routine PCR testing for the virus. As a result a further 11 people (in addition to the two mentioned above) returned positive serology indicating previous ‘historic’ infections.

As said we have no community transmissions and we are at level one (our lowest level) and have been for quite awhile.

Our rugby season finished this weekend (what are we going to do without our rugby - oh and the All Blacks thrashed the Pumas last night). Our finals were played in stadiums with people in them!!! Packed shops the other day with very little risk.

The interest rates have dropped drastically and house prices have risen sharply - mainly because of people removing money from investments putting it into property for capital gains.

Borders remain closed, except to returning Kiwis, permanent residents and exemptions given. Tourism has turned inwards focusing on domestic tourists.

We are letting some workers from overseas in after Xmas to assist in picking fruit. The growers have conditions to met including paying upfront for MIQ and paying minimum wages.

There have been complaints about there not being enough managed isolation (five and four star hotels - fully catered) spaces for Kiwis and permanent residents wanting to return home. A voucher system was brought in because of Xmas. There are about 7,000 beds (about 4,500 rooms) - some "maths" teacher complained about rooms being under utilized, when the Health Ministry had to point out that whilst there is 7,000 beds there's only 4,500 rooms, which means one person could be in one room, or a couple or family. In other words no one not associated with each other in someone else's 'bubble'. About 80,000 people have been through the managed isolation and quarantine facilities. I think a lot of the current people having issues are coming back for Xmas and only for that purpose not really to stay.

The Government has said that there are set requirements for MIQ facilities. Security, exercise areas, health resources onsite and available nearby for acute care, administrational. Some are saying MIQ should be run by private enterprise. We had private firms in charged of security and they had to call in the NZ Defense Force and Police and place it under the control of a Government Agency. One of the people saying private enterprise should run MIQ said the NZDF, Police & Health should still be used (what the hell will PE be doing then!!!)

Awhile ago we had a mini-outbreak, four cases linked to a NZDF member working at a MIQ hotel. That has been considered close and resulted in no economic damage.

The NZ COVID Tracer app now has 2,387,000 registered users. QR poster scans have reached 129,010,201 and users have created 5,229,595 manual diary entries. (I keep a manual record of where I go).

High testing rates still being carried out and the Government has entered into a number of vaccine contracts.

Oh, and the Government who brought in the elimination strategy had a landslide win in our General Elections.

iminyourhead
ChMotCh said: I haven't given an update for some time so thought I would.

There you go, a perfect solution. Keep the borders CLOSED.

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Raven2005 said:

Always part of the fear, a mutation that makes things worse.

Which makes it great news that the mRNA vaccine does something involving the protein that lets it get into cells (or something like that) which means it will be effective for similar viruses rather than solely for Covid 19.

But we will see, won't we?

Moelarryandcurly
Just a small example. In the US they reported 2 deaths as being from covid but it was cause of being shot. they had covid but their deaths were due to gunshot wounds. cool

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
We have this idea that after the Christmas hols,
Teachers should test children for it when they return to school.
It's daft for so many reasons.
for example
These sort of tests can't even start to detect it for over a week after a kid has got it.
A child can pick it up the same day that he or she is tested.
Teacher suppose to teach,not to conduct medical tests.
The virus won't at this stage cause illness to nearly all children.
Most children will, however, become infected. and pass it on to older people who can die from it..
So much more to it.
Did child get it ?
Then what?
Send child home to infect the home...

Forum Level:
Active Contributor

Moelarryandcurly
Good Lord
How freaking creepy is this? A scene from Alfred Hitchcock or the Twilight Zone? What are they doing to these poor children?

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
The Mutant Corvid is reported to be sweeping South East England.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
Raven2005 said:The Mutant Corvid

A mewtunt crow thumbup happydance yahoo LOL

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
Wodja said:
Raven2005 said:The Mutant Corvid

A mewtunt crow thumbup happydance yahoo LOL

I noticed dat.
My mistake.
And. as far as one knows..Birdies don't transmit it.

Help / Contact | Rules |  Terms of use / disclaimer | webmasters | Epoch Billing Support | Privacy Policy | DMCA / Takedown Request
18 U.S.C. 2257 Record-Keeping Requirements Compliance Statement
Page generated in 0.74 seconds