Forum - The Sexiest Forum on the net - BNude

User not found

This user could not be found. They may have deleted their account.

View full profile

User not found

This user could not be found. They may have deleted their account.

Username:
Password:
remember me?
 Latest:
Help / Support | Settings | View or Edit your profile
gee152
North of UK or North of England
As a good Scotsman who has no problem with our neighbours south of the border, other than they cannot pronounce loch lol, I can't help noticing how many of my southern neighbours refer to the north of England as the north of the UK. Given that there is almost a four hundred mile drive from either Carlisle or Newcastle to the real north of the UK up round about Thurso - not to mention the Orkney & Shetland Isles - do my English friends think the UK stops where England stops ??? , just wondering.

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Just getting started
Nope.

As far as I'm concerned North UK isn't a term I'd use, I'd just say Scotland.

Maybe the people you're referring to thought you got your independence a few years back wink

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
As a sort of Eastender and Kentish, I know that some wonders what prevails North of Watford....ohmy

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Some people in Scotland want Scotland to become independent. I think that would be a mistake. I think the American Revolution was a mistake. By every criterion other than climate I think Canada is a better country than the United States. 2c

Forum Level:
Just getting started
ive never heard this said ever, when i lived in Scotland i could never get used to it when i went back down to Newcastle the Scots would say oh your going down south sounds so weird lol, i always say either the west coast of Scotland or the east happydance

gee152
Thanks for the responses, my point was that many of the English seem to consider the UK is England and consider Newcastle as the north east UK not the north east of England. An attitude that just stokes the fires of the nationalists up here. Would our southern cousins be happy if we referred to Stranraer as south west UK lol.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
The people you're referring to probably live in London and we all know they're a special breed. These are the people that think someone from Birmingham is a northerner.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
gee152, we Americans stop listening to the British in 1776 so what does that tell ya? unsure

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
cartoongirl said: gee152, we Americans stop listening to the British in 1776 so what does that tell ya? unsure

Some of yer lot have gone way way on down..

LOL

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Not British here, nor Scottish, nor from the UK, but as an outsider looking in I wonder how much of this is due to the 'City' (London) vs. the rest of the country?

Blackheath
I don't know, even the idea of Londonder's thinking the U.K is England is out of whack.

Though it is something people from outside of London think wink

Blackheath
milfchaser said: Not British here, nor Scottish, nor from the UK, but as an outsider looking in I wonder how much of this is due to the 'City' (London) vs. the rest of the country?

Scotland wanted to Remain as did Northern Ireland as did London and many parts of Sussex wanted to Remain. Going by the results alone no way this ever a London v the UK thing.

On top of all that, there is no true indication of what type of Brexit those who wanted to leave wanted. It wasn't one the ballot it was just Remain or Leave.

Nobody in their right mind wants to leave without a deal.

Blackheath
Sorry wrong thread.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Geordie girl here...

Definately feel more connected to Scotland than a lot of places in England. Get the feeling that a lot of people think the UK revolves around South East England and London in particular